2019年4月29日月曜日

からの?and now what?

Carl's Jr is here in Japan! @ Odaiba
委託契約書、どう会社に戻したもんか、と旦那に相談。

ここ数カ月の愚痴は、

1.上長が日本的トップダウンすぎて窮屈
2.給与が安すぎる&今の私の仕事内容(翻訳以外も増えてきた)に見合わない

いっそこのタイミングで自分の報酬レベルを市場標準レベルまで上げてもらえば、by旦那。
「!たしかに!」、ということで、上長にプレゼンしたが(採用当初と仕事の内容が変わってきており、チームメンバーの監督や指示など一部マネジメント的な仕事も入ってきている)、下記の理由で難色:

1.チーム内ですでに私だけ時給が高い
2.これまで仕事に目標設定をしてきたわけではないので、現時点でのパフォーマンスの評価が難しい

うーん、なるほど、あいかわらず思考が日本企業的(たぶん)。
これまで他社で給与交渉して、上記の理由からNG出されたことがないから驚き。

1に関しては「そりゃそうだろっ!」。
周りみんな20代前半のバイトだわさ(私の英訳のパートナー以外は)。
立ってるキャリアステージが違うっつーの。

2は「オマエの目は節穴か?!この2カ月何見てきてんねん!」。
喉元過ぎれば、すぎるでしょ、おめでたい人だ。
直近のチーム内ゴタゴタを忘れたのか?!
あのゴタゴタの鎮圧、私抜きでできたと思っているのか?!
上長を全くもって信用していなかったバイトちゃんたちは、私というはけ口がなければ、おそらく我慢の限界まで我慢して一人また一人とボロボロ辞めていく結末になっていたと私は強く思っている。

というかさ、数字だけで追うなよ。
見ろよ、部下のパフォーマンスを。
その目で、データじゃなくて、己の目でさ。
日々の様子、チーム&チーム以外との仕事ぶりとか、自分の目でもっと見ろ!!

大企業の給与も福利厚生も潤沢な中での正社員ポジションでのゴール設定、パフォーマンス管理ならまだしも、この何でもやれる人がやってよ&カオスなベンチャー環境におけるバイトに毛が生えたようなポジションにおいて、ゴール設定とか長期的計画とか数字とか、「は?」でしかない。

心の中でまたもやイラーっと来たものの、もう、油と水というか、これ無理。
仕事に対する考え方が、まったくベースが違うから、歩み寄り無理。

ということで、契約書を一旦持ち帰って人事と話し合いますね、という明らかに形だけの返事への対応も待たず、もうこちらでラインを引かせていただいた。

1.スキルの出し惜しみをする
(チーム内またはチーム間のプロセス改善とかは考えず、自分の仕事だけする)

2.パートナーと完璧にワークシェアをして全て同等にできるようにしておく&稼働が私より多いパートナーに全てリードしてもらう

2に関しては本人にもOKをもらい、すでに来週の面接も彼に担当してもうらことにし、万が一その人が決まった際の仕事の監督もお願いした。
2の別の要素=これまでまとめてきたチーム内の統制(上長→チームへの支持の確認・周知など)は別の子にリードしてもらうよう頼んだ。

ここまで金曜にやって、夜家に付いたら月曜面接した会社から採用のメールが来ていた…
5月20日スタート、ひとまず週3日・3か月契約スタート、しかも今やってる仕事のスケジュール優先で調整してくれると(涙)

ここまで私を必要としてくれているのだけど、うーむ、仕事の内容が…
仕事にはとことんワガママな私であった。
そして、そこにもう1社、創業者が面白そうなのと会社のカルチャーがアメリカっぽい(多分創業者の考え方から)ITベンチャー(またです!)への応募が重なり、
なかなか混沌としてきたぞ。

て、自分で種まいているわけだけど。

ITベンチャーは通訳&社長の秘書的な要素を多く含む仕事なので、社長との相性が全てだと思う。ひとまず先方からの要望でエントリシート(自社サービスへのインプット)を出したので、あとはGW明けの合否待ち。ここが通ると多分社長面接。

↑フルタイムでの募集っぽいが、社長と気が合えばスケジュールと契約形態は融通してくれそうな気がしているので、まずはペーパー(?)通過するかというところ。

はてさて、どうなることやら。

GWしょっぱなはお台場肉フェスに行ってきた。
肉が冷めちゃって、お店で食べた方がいいねーと旦那に同意。
お台場はものすごーい人だった。都内空いてるかと思いきや、そうでもないのね。

あとはこどもの国と海にいきたい。

enjoy the rest of GW!!

A burger costs $10!! 
After the team issue settled down, coincidentally my contract was up for renewal.
An HR person handed me 2 copies of the contract for me to sign (seal in Japan instead of sign).
I held on to them for 1 week now knowing what to do with them since I had a job interview.
The contract bind me to be on it for 1 year with possibility of leaving if mutually agreed 2 months prior to the last day.
One year is too long, plus my hourly rate too low. Much much much lower than my industry standard...

Toru suggested that I took this opportunity to negotiate on my hourly rate, especially since my role has grown from just being a translator to almost managing the whole team.

The first word that came out from my boss's mouth was, not possible. He said,

1. I am on much much higher wage than rest of the team
2. the company never set a performance goal on me for the company to determine my performance at this point

Umm, brain freeze?

A man who has worked all his career life at this gigantic Japanese corporation, ah, typical. Brain freeze.

For #1, I told him this is fair because rest of the team has much less experience than me including some university students who never translated before.
#2, I just had nothing to say. This is just so Japanese and again brain freeze.
Honestly, I had no one turning down my pay raise request by such lame reason.

I just wondered in a train I rode to get home, doesn't he have eyes??
How can it be that he has not seen me perform last several months?!!
Especially right after the team issue, did he not see that if I were not there, he would not have been able to handle the situation??
With university students and other translators in early 20s not trusting his judgement and leadership, they never went to him but instead came to me to confide and asked for help, which I did.
It was more like me handling the boss to work out the issue.
Of course, I was extra careful to make it look like it was his accomplishment because he is the typical homosocial  type boss, but how can he be stupid not to see all that?

Instead of continuing my negotiation, I shut down my door to him and decided to reset my own work expectation and standard:

1. Work share 100% with my partner so he can take the lead from here on
2. Assign another guy who is motivated to take the lead to be the communication channel between the team and the boss so no information is lost (the current leader loses lots of info, so I asked him to be the sub-leader)
3. Continue looking for a job, not hassle but keep the door open and be ready to move on when a right opportunity arises

I decided I will only work up to what I earn.
I will retain part of my skill in this work place, I won't give my 100% no more.

By end of Friday, I accomplished both 1 and 2 and came home to find an email message from the company I had an interview with for an interpretation job, I was hired, on a 3 month contract base with much flexibility.

I feel so appreciative to find someone out there who appreciates my skill and knowledge and match up + lenient to work around my current schedule!
However, this position is part time with the basis of my current work, so now the table has turned a bit, I don't know if I want to take the offer.

Plus, there is another opportunity that may come up.
I have applied for an IT company for an interpretation role (with some personal assistant to CEO nature of role blended).
Now, this position is potentially a full time, so this will turn my work situation around a bit.  I anyhow have a feeling that if I spoke to the business owner who seems to be open minded with Western influence on his personality seeing his profile and company philosophy, I could maybe negotiate on the schedule part.
This would become the most ideal if I can work out my schedule.

We'll see how this job application turns around after Golden Week (10 day holiday; Japan will start a new era from May 1st with a  new emperor!).

Enjoy your GW!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー