2016年6月24日金曜日

金曜だ!TGIF


今週は長かった、疲れが溜まっていたのか、一昨日あたりから
ダルさが抜けず、昨日はひさびさに何もなかったので下の子と家で
ゴロゴロ、ダラダラして過ごした。
昨夜2人の息子と9時前にベッドに入り、そのまま寝落ち。
下の子は7ヶ月も後半に入り、大分楽になったとはいえ、まだ夜中に
何回か授乳で起きる。
そんなで基本寝不足状態で過ごしている上に新しい職場での慣れない
仕事で、さすがに疲れが溜まってきたか。

先週から行き出した職場、社長さんが変わった人で少しクセはあるが、
スケジュールの融通がきくし、全体のバランスをみてまあよいだろう
という感じで、あとは条件面の確認だけしなきゃと思って先週確認
したところ労働契約書を作るといっていたので待った。
が今週に入っても来ないので、一昨日帰る前に契約書はいらないから、
口頭で条件面を教えてくれないかといったところ、出てきた数字が
低くてビックリ!

試用期間中だけならその額面でもよいが、本採用でその条件では私は
ちょっと無理だと伝えて帰ってきた。

帰りの電車で、日本語ができない外国人のバイリンガルサポートでは
ないのから多少これまでより低めでもしょうがないかと一時は納得したが、
昨日になって、3月に応募した際の募集要項にはTOEFL700点以上、
英語力が必須条件、バイリンガル案件並みの条件、だったから応募
したことを思い出した。

2日で辞めたベンチャーといい、募集要項と面接で確認してるのに、
実地になって話が違う!となってるので、かなり脱力。
こうなってくると、私のほうにも問題があるのだろう、とも思うが、
しかし、待遇面、仕事内容確認という意味では今している以上、他に
何ができるのだろう、と途方にも暮れる、、、

それか、私の日本語、相手に通じてないのか?(笑)

募集当時と業務内容、待遇面に変更が出たのであれば理解するので、
試用期間として合意した次の1ヶ月で新しい人を探してくれないか、と
メールしたところ、ひとまず次回行った際に擦り合わせをすることになった。

大丈夫かなあ。日本人はnegotiationが苦手な人種。これまでの経験だと、
日本人との条件面のnegotiation後は相手の態度が激変することが
多かったので、今回の社長さんが時給アップに応じてくれたとしても、
その後それを引きずらないか、がちょっと不安、、、

小さい会社は一人がいろいろやらなければならないのは理解するが、
特に待遇面は一番大事な部分だし、そこを変えられてしまうと
モチベーションがダダ下がりである。

日本人はお金の話を面と向かってするのを嫌うので、結構最初の頃に
条件面の確認をこちらからすると戸惑う人が多いのだが、私としては
そこを確認してからじゃないと自分の時間もスキルも投資したくない。 
外国人(特に北米人)は文化的にも条件面の交渉は全然OKだし、
確認せずお互い理解の不一致があるまま行って後々トラブルのを避ける
ためにも、仕事を本格的に始める前に諸条件(特に待遇面)の確認は
マストなので、この類いのトラブルで外国人雇用主ともめたことは
これまでない。

一昨年手伝っていたベンチャーも蓋を開けてみたら待遇が恐ろしく
低かったが、人間先立つものはお金なので(下品ですみません、、)、
そこの擦り合わせはまず第一に、が肝心だな、と思う。

続くよ続く、私の仕事受難。
だんだん気持ち的に疲弊してきたが、あまり深刻になりすぎないように
したいと思う。

なにはともあれ金曜日!

よい週末を。

By end of Tuesday I was all worn out.
By end of Wednesday I was more worn out.
I was hoping that my new employer would give me the contractual
agreement as he promised early last week, but didn't.
By EOB Wednesday, I asked him to please just tell me verbally
what the wage is and the amount that came out of his mouth shocekd
me... it was shockingly and unexpectedly low.

Right off the bat, I told him it is alright if that wage was only during the
probational period but after that, I need a raise.
He claimed it is because it is no bilingual work, but I remembered the
first time I applied for the position, the job description did include
bilingual work plus it required a TOEIC (Test of English for international
communication; many Japanese companies judge a
candidate's English ability by the score of this test) score over 700
(score100 is 990) plus experience of work in English environment
to apply and of course this is why I applied in the first place.

This again only a week or two after the previous company.
Is it me? It must be me. Maybe I should no longer label myself as a
bilingual Japanese? People cannot understand my Japanese?
Or I am not understanding what they are telling me??
(just kidding)

Or, maybe, after all, instead of finding a job myself, I should let
someone else find a job for me, negotiate the wage and conditions
for me.
I never had an issue like this when I was going through a dispatch
company.

I emailed the owner that I understand that now the job description
has changed and that he is not to pay more than what he has in mind.
However, my specialty is the language ability and that if it requires
no bilingual skill, I have no interest in the position, therefore,
if he could find someone to replace, it would be better.
I would stick around until he finds someone else.
(of course, I said all this in more polite manner)

He came back to me with suggestion of having a meeting next week,
so I will go back on Tuesday to discuss, but I am just afraid his attitude
will change even if we find a meeting point.
I only have sour experience in the past negotiating work and wage
conditions with a Japanese employer.
There is a norm in Japan that to openly mention or negotiate about
one's wage (or money related matter) is not really polite or appropriate.
I felt this time to time with a Japanese employer or boss.
But, I am just wondering how people here avoid misunderstanding
without openly discussing the wage or work conditions...
maybe I am missing the sign?

Another myth of Japanese culture.

Well, it is Friday today, hooray!
Have a nice weekend!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー