2012年6月24日日曜日

California vibe

雨の表参道
金曜日は野暮用でひさびさに表参道へいってきた。
何年ぶりだろうか。ザ・ハイソの代名詞のような土地(田舎モンですんません)。
週末は人でごったがえすが、雨の平日は程よい感じだった。
といっても、すぐに裏に入ってしまったが。

野暮用を済ませた後、祖母の従妹の娘(要は親戚)ヒロコちゃんと落ち合い裏原宿をぶらぶらした。前からゆっくり見たいお店はいくつかあるのだが、なんせ旦那+息子連れだとそうそう好きにも歩き回れなかったが、今回で果たせた。

買い物はとにかく1人に限る!(今回は2人か)

なんともいえない色合い&柄のパンツ(黄色地にシャガール的な絵の描いてあるパンツ)を3000円ちょっとで見つけ大満足。
近く(神宮前4丁目あたり)に大人向けっぽいカフェをみつけ、たまたまオーナーらしき人がいたのだが、どうもカリフォルニア好きらしく、一部をギャラリーみたいにしてカリフォルニアのアーティストのものを並べているようだった(使っている家具もロサンゼルスのデザイナーのものらしかった)。
ちらっとカリフォルニア住んでいたような匂いをさせたら、すごく話をしたそうにしていて、なんとなく「ああ、この人もカリフォルニアっぽいな〜」と思った。
あの会話にオープンな感じ、あまり日本人は出さないからな。
それも懐かしかった。

カリフォルニアといえば、リサーチの後釜として始める翻訳の仕事の依頼主がカリフォルニア出身で、先週水曜日に会って来たのだが、すっかりカリフォルニアの話で盛り上がってしまい、カリフォルニアっぽいオススメの映画の話や、彼の今後の野望(カリフォルニアの文化、特有のデザイン、物を日本に紹介したいらしい)を聞いていたらあっという間に2時間半くらいたっていた。

やはり私はカリフォルニアが好きなんだな〜と実感。
日本に戻ってからはハワイ、ハワイ、だったが、ひさびさにカリフォルニアケーションしたくなった。

Taro Okamoto
I went to Omotesando, the most "high end" part of Tokyo.
Though it is within an half an hour train ride range from our place, I rarely come here. Things are too expensive and too crowded on the weekend.

Yet, it is nice to step in this Omotesando-Aoyama area once in a while to feel "okay" in a culture/ fashion sense.

Though, Toru and I prefer more of "Ura-Harajuku" area, back streets of Omotesando. Many small shops, restaurants and cafes are located on small tangling streets and fun to explore (especially alone).

My relative Hiroko came along and we found this industrial looking cafe under a pancake restaurant recommended by a shop staff I boutht a pari of artsy yellow pants for 3000 yen (about 38USD). Initially we were planning to got to the pancake place but as soon as we heard loud chirps of young crowd, we silently turned around and stepped down the outside staircase.
1st floor cafe was empty and looked so serene, plus both of us love coffee so we went in.

One guy who was sitting by the entrance with a laptop in front opened the door for us and he seemed to be an owner of the cafe.  It was cafe and gallery and just opened a day ago, he explained. He seemed to have this vibe that is not typical to Japanese mid age man and from the conversation, I sensed he either used to or currently lives in California. All the artworks displayed in the cafe was by California artists.

Another California moment was when I met with Craig who is from California running a small design firm in Tokyo for lasts16 years or so. We met through craiglist Tokyo (met Craig through craiglist, haha) and he offered me series of freelance translation projects to help him launch and introduce his idea of California designs to Japan. I met with him last week in his office in Yoyogi and the conversation just took off and it was easily 2 hours when we said "talk to you soon!".

Ever since I came back to Japan in year 2005, I never really looked back on the days in California, but this recent interactions with California vibes made me want to re-visit the place.

Thinking of you, So-Cal.



フォロワー