今日は午後から旦那と上の子がじいじ・ばあばのところに
出かけて行き、私と下の子はコーヒー豆が切れたので
買い物に出て、贅沢チーズケーキと明日の朝食に贅沢パン
を購入してきた。
夕飯は残り物で適当にすませたが、食後に贅沢チーズ
ケーキとコーヒーで締めがよし。
今週は水曜にひさびさにジャックの仕事で弁護士事務所に
同行し、逐次通訳的なことをしたのだが、本当に久々で
少し精度が落ちたと自分で思った。
他に2名ジャックを手伝っている人が同席したのだが、
1名はコンサルタント、もう1名は私と同じように
バイリンガル要員で彼女は議事録をとった。
面談は1時間程で終わり、そのままジャックが会員の
東京アメリカンクラブでお昼を食べたのだが、
議事録をとっていた女性に、逐次通訳が上手い、その
レベルなら外資系企業でエグゼクティブ付きとかできる
のじゃないか、と言われ、単純な私はすっかりその気に
なり、ちょっといろいろ聞いてみた。
彼女は外資系の医療機器メーカーの正社員で今は産休を
とっているらしいのだが、外資は英語ができれば結構
それだけで上に行く人が多いと言っていて、
あなたならいけるわよ!と太鼓判を押されたのだが・・・
うーむ、
私も業界は違えど新卒で入ったのは外資系企業だったが、
いったいどこの辺でどうゆう経緯でルートを外れたのか...
その日は、お昼の後、女性は帰って行き、私が抜けていたここ
2ヶ月くらいのことをジャックとキャッチアップし、
今後どう進めて行くかなどを話し、
4時半頃家に戻って来た。
木曜派遣先での仕事。
前の日が仕事的に充実していたので、派遣先でやってる総務やら
経理やらの仕事が更に凡庸に感じてしまって、
モチベーションはダダ下がり。
委託で来てる女性と昼に話していたら、翻訳の学校の説明会に
いってきたと資料を見せてくれて、そこに通訳の講座ものっていた。
大学の頃日米会話学院の短期コースをとっていたことを思い出し、
そういや、通訳 or 翻訳コースをいつの日か改めて取り直そうと
思っていたことを思い出した。
今の派遣は仕事はつまらないし、社長は結構トップダウンでドメスティック
だが、社員の人たちに悪い人もいなそうだし、
今後も週4ペースをキープできそう、もしくはあわよくば週3に
減らせるなら、残りの日程でジャックの手伝い&通訳講座
通うのもありかな〜なんて思い出した。
通訳はジャックの仕事で結構頼まれるし、ましてや今後凡庸だと
私が定義している仕事から離れるには「これ」というスキルを身に
つけるしかないわけで、となると、やはり私の売りは英語なのだから、
ここでいっちょ自己投資するのもありかな、と。
そうなってくると、派遣仕事は自己投資の資金源なのだから、
今の仕事も割り切れると思う。
ジャックの仕事が忙しくなって来たら、それはその時今の派遣先との
兼ね合いを考え直せば良い気がする。
実際どうゆう運びになるかは置いておいて、自分を納得させられる
落としどころができて良かった。
ジョブホッピングは疲れますからね。
On Wednesday, I went in a meeting with a lawyer with Jack and
2 others (1 consultant, 1 bilingual personnel for taking minutes).
My role was to interpret the conversation for Jack because
the meeting was carried in Japanese although lawyers (there
were 4 of them) seemed to understand what Jack was saying.
We got out of the meeting around 11:30AM and we hopped
on a taxi and went to Tokyo American Club for lunch.
Jack thanked me for joining the meeting and the person who
took minutes gave me a compliment about my level of interpretation.
She told me with my language capability, I should be able to work
in a big non Japanese corporations because often she sees
bilingual personnel working in her office (American medical
device company) being promoted just for the language ability.
I guess I could have taken that path if I did not move to US
to study graphic design in late 20s. Even after I came back
from it in early 30s, I guess I could have looked further for
a better opportunity in a bigger corporation but anyhow
I did not end up there. Interesting, I wonder what happened
where.
In any case, life has its own turn and I guess that path was
not mine to take.
Next day, Thursday, I went to dispatch work place and I was
very much demotivated to take on boring tasks. Hours
passed and at lunch, I was chatting with a woman who works
there on freelance basis and she told me that the night before
she attended an orientation at a school who trains professinoal
translator and interpreters.
This made me remember back in my college years, I was taking
a similar course at a different school, a short course too, during
my spring break. I did not continue to study further back then
because I felt I needed some business experiences.
This caught my attention.
By end of Friday, I was all ready to decline my next contract
renewal with the current dispatch company and look for an
interpretation work, but slowly I started to see that maybe
if I could keep my current 4 days a week dispatch work or
possibly decrease it to 3 days a week even better,
I could allocate the remaining days for helping out Jack
and attending the school to be trained to be a professional interpreter.
If Jack's business starts to pick up, I will think either dropping
current work and concentrate on his business, or
arrange something else. We'll see how it goes.
It maybe about time I made a self investment to kick myself
a notch and stop complaining about work and job hopping.
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿