あっという間に梅雨の気配を感じ始め、とうとう
今週末には梅雨入りらしい。
今年の夏も暑いのかな、、そちらのほうが気になる。
今週末には梅雨入りらしい。
今年の夏も暑いのかな、、そちらのほうが気になる。
現状、固定で動いてる職場がふたつ(ベンチャー週1、
インター週2 or 3)、フリーの依頼元が3社、
気づいたらそんなことになっていて先々週あたりから
キリキリまい。
キリキリまい。
ベンチャーの方は当初からまったくモチベーションが
上がらず、おそらく相性が悪いのだろうけれど、
ただ仕事は仕事なのでなんとか今週いっぱいは
フォローして終わることにした。
なんで私は日本人と仕事ができないんだろう...
と思っていたら今朝インターFMでピーター・バラカン
さんが、日本人は遠慮・謙遜する時自分を下げる、
欧米人は相手を上げる。
これは日本が縦社会が基本にあるからで、 日本人は
どんな状況でも必ず縦社会の感覚で人と接する、
と言っていてピンときた。
私は対等でやりたいのだ。
だけど日本は縦社会なのは重々承知だから、どうにか
苦手な縦社会順応コミュニケーションを取ろうとするが
自分の中でストレスが溜まるのだろう。
そして、これまで私が接してきた少ない日本人上司、
雇い主は一人を抜かして全て、この[対等」の立場
からの意見をすごーく疎んじた。
だから合わなかったんだな。
上だろうが下だろうが間違ってるものは間違ってる
のだし、それは認めて効率的により良い結果を
求めるのが会社にとってもプラスだと思うのだけど...
でも、日本には謙遜を美とする文化があり、敬語という
美しいながらも七面倒くさい習慣があるから、
これからも私は日本でのアウトローで日本人とそれ以外
の人たちの狭間をさまよっていくのでしょう。
ま、いっか。
上がらず、おそらく相性が悪いのだろうけれど、
ただ仕事は仕事なのでなんとか今週いっぱいは
フォローして終わることにした。
なんで私は日本人と仕事ができないんだろう...
と思っていたら今朝インターFMでピーター・バラカン
さんが、日本人は遠慮・謙遜する時自分を下げる、
欧米人は相手を上げる。
これは日本が縦社会が基本にあるからで、 日本人は
どんな状況でも必ず縦社会の感覚で人と接する、
と言っていてピンときた。
私は対等でやりたいのだ。
だけど日本は縦社会なのは重々承知だから、どうにか
苦手な縦社会順応コミュニケーションを取ろうとするが
自分の中でストレスが溜まるのだろう。
そして、これまで私が接してきた少ない日本人上司、
雇い主は一人を抜かして全て、この[対等」の立場
からの意見をすごーく疎んじた。
だから合わなかったんだな。
上だろうが下だろうが間違ってるものは間違ってる
のだし、それは認めて効率的により良い結果を
求めるのが会社にとってもプラスだと思うのだけど...
でも、日本には謙遜を美とする文化があり、敬語という
美しいながらも七面倒くさい習慣があるから、
これからも私は日本でのアウトローで日本人とそれ以外
の人たちの狭間をさまよっていくのでしょう。
ま、いっか。
With nonce a week in Shibuya, twice a week in Hiroo,
plus other freelance projects,
plus other freelance projects,
my schedule has been frantic past 2 weeks.
I am quitting one of them at end of this week and
funny enough, my friend is taking over the same
job (I introduced her to the owner).
In my 16 years or so working career, there is only
one Japanese boss I got along with.
Since then, I tried working with Japanese bosses
in various situations, but anyhow never worked out.
And this job I am quitting is run by a young bilingual
Japanese guy who's studied overseas and has a branch
office in India, and yet eventually it didn't work out.
I've been wondering about this, why I don't get along.
I do admit that I am not a typical
Japanese type per say, but I do have Japanese friends
and my family has been based in Japan except for few years
in my adolescence years.
And this morning, in a radio show, a guy named Peter Barakan
(a bilingual broadcaster based in Tokyo) was talking about
a difference of modesty in Japan and other countries.
When Japanese show modesty they lower themselves where
others (esp Europeans and Americans) tend to show by
praising others.
He also said this is because Japan is a vertical society (based
on where people are placed, not by their nature),
where European or American society, people are connected
horizontally.
This is partly because we have what's called "keigo", a honorific
speech, which we often use to show respect to the counter
part (highest rank is the elderly, second rank is whoever is on
higher position than you are in society i.e. your boss, politician,
lawyer etc., then someone you don't know. For example,
when I call to make a reservation at a restaurant, I use
this honorific speech because the person I am speaking to
is not my friend or family.)
Anyway, I always felt all this prevents us from taking down
the walls between people and being more frank and open to each
other for a better future and better whatever.
Although I admit that this is one of the elements that makes
Japanese culture unique and beautiful, and that European
and American societies also have honorific speech to some
extent.
Anyhow, it was tough for me to work in such domestic
environment and now I am working for 1 American, 1 Canadian,
1 Polish and 1 German in Tokyo.
I have a feeling I will always be inbetween those 2 worlds.
This is a drawback of being bicultural (not just bilingual, because
being bilingual does not automatically make you bicultural).
Japan is yet still conservative society although it is changing
in some ways. It would be interesting to know what younger
generations are feeling and thinking since it is said that
younger generations are more domestic minded.
I am just happy to be over with that part time job which
never did me any good... cheers!
I am quitting one of them at end of this week and
funny enough, my friend is taking over the same
job (I introduced her to the owner).
In my 16 years or so working career, there is only
one Japanese boss I got along with.
Since then, I tried working with Japanese bosses
in various situations, but anyhow never worked out.
And this job I am quitting is run by a young bilingual
Japanese guy who's studied overseas and has a branch
office in India, and yet eventually it didn't work out.
I've been wondering about this, why I don't get along.
I do admit that I am not a typical
Japanese type per say, but I do have Japanese friends
and my family has been based in Japan except for few years
in my adolescence years.
And this morning, in a radio show, a guy named Peter Barakan
(a bilingual broadcaster based in Tokyo) was talking about
a difference of modesty in Japan and other countries.
When Japanese show modesty they lower themselves where
others (esp Europeans and Americans) tend to show by
praising others.
He also said this is because Japan is a vertical society (based
on where people are placed, not by their nature),
where European or American society, people are connected
horizontally.
This is partly because we have what's called "keigo", a honorific
speech, which we often use to show respect to the counter
part (highest rank is the elderly, second rank is whoever is on
higher position than you are in society i.e. your boss, politician,
lawyer etc., then someone you don't know. For example,
when I call to make a reservation at a restaurant, I use
this honorific speech because the person I am speaking to
is not my friend or family.)
Anyway, I always felt all this prevents us from taking down
the walls between people and being more frank and open to each
other for a better future and better whatever.
Although I admit that this is one of the elements that makes
Japanese culture unique and beautiful, and that European
and American societies also have honorific speech to some
extent.
Anyhow, it was tough for me to work in such domestic
environment and now I am working for 1 American, 1 Canadian,
1 Polish and 1 German in Tokyo.
I have a feeling I will always be inbetween those 2 worlds.
This is a drawback of being bicultural (not just bilingual, because
being bilingual does not automatically make you bicultural).
Japan is yet still conservative society although it is changing
in some ways. It would be interesting to know what younger
generations are feeling and thinking since it is said that
younger generations are more domestic minded.
I am just happy to be over with that part time job which
never did me any good... cheers!
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿