2012年2月5日日曜日

ひとり, solitary night


昨日は溜まりたまったリサーチ仕事を片付けるため家にひとりでこもった。午後から旦那が息子を連れ、旦那の実家に泊まりでいったおかげで大分進んだ。

ひさびさの一人。
仕事の切りのいいところでおやつ、自分の好きな時間に適当にご飯、テレビ見ながらビール、ゆっくりお風呂。今朝は誰にも起こされず3度寝し、ゆっくり掃除洗濯し、ゆっくりコーヒーをいれ、パンを焼き、ぼーっとしながら朝食。大好きなボサノヴァも雑音なくゆったり流れる。そして、ブログの更新。
全て自分のペース。自分以外の人間の予定や腹具合はなく、自分の都合だけの生活。
こんなことここ何年やってないだろうか。たまには、こんな週末もよいな、と実感。

この1週間はかなり変動だった。

結局、息子は水曜も保育園を休み、木曜金曜は保育園へいった。金曜は私はもう1つの仕事(年明けから始めた100%自由スケジュールの仕事)の社長から会合同席を頼まれていたので、息子を保育園に送った後、恵比寿ウェスティンホテルへ直行。先週の六本木ヒルズ同様、エグゼクティブ・ラウンジ。
六本木ヒルズはヒルズクラブというレストランだったが、今回は仕事用スペースのせいか華やかさに欠け地味な感じだったが、ビジネスセンターなども充実していて、地味だがサービスはさすがウェスティン、行き過ぎず適度に行き届いていて、なるほど、と関心した。

11時から昼食までエブゼクティブ・ラウンジ内にあるミーティングルームでの会合、ガーデンプレイス地下でお客さんと昼食、お客さんを送った後エグゼクティブ・ラウンジに戻り、請求書やら、確定申告に向けた書類の整理などの整理をし、16時過ぎには家に戻った。

yukoさんて何の仕事してるんですか?自由業ですか?
とよく聞かれる。
いえいえ、勤め人ですよ。自分を仕事に合わせる気がないので、合わないとすぐ仕事を変えるんです。ただワガママなだけです。
と答える。

そして、世の中には結構そうゆう働き方をしている人がいて、そんな人たちと一度仕事をすると、お互い嗅ぎ分けられるようになるから、なんとか今まで仕事にありつけている。私の場合、語学を生業にしている部分が多いのでほとんどの場合雇い主は日本人ではない。
彼らはいわゆる企業が社員に求めるルールみたいなものから解き放たれていて、100%実績主義。
どこであろうと、何時だろうと、方法(法の範囲内で)、性別、人種、国籍、年齢、婚歴、家族の状況、などはどうあれ、結果を必要な時期までに出せば後は何も干渉しない。上司部下はなく関係が平ら。社長だろうが、間違っていればお言葉してOK(もちろん常識範囲内で)。
そんな彼らのようなビジネスオーナー(多くの場合)の特徴は、とにかくよく働く。昼夜、盆暮れ関係なく、いつでも働いていて、1つところに留まらない(東京には1週間、香港に3日、ドバイ1日、ロサンゼルス5日、など)。
日本人は自分が一番よく働くと思っているが、日本人以外でも彼らのような人たちは日本人以上に働く、そしてよく稼ぐ。

まだまだ日本は社会が封建的なため、日本人でああゆう働き方をする人はあまり見ないが、ベンチャー企業あたりから少しずつ日本にもああゆうタイプのビジネスオーナーが増えるのかと思う、増えて欲しい。そうしたら、もっと東京も働きやすい場になるだろうと思う。

そして今朝、上海から戻ったばかりの派遣仕事のほうの上司から、「事情があり、明日からもしばらく在宅仕事にしてください」とメールが来ていた。なぬ、棚ボタ。だけど一体どんな事情だろうか。。。

Koki's lingering cough finally ceased after staying home for 2 days (except he played with Maya on Wednesday afternoon for few hours outside).  He was happy to go back to his day care on Thursday and Friday.

Friday I had another business meeting to sit in (this time no interpretation) at Westin Hotel Tokyo, one of high end hotel with business capability in Tokyo.  Last Friday's Roppongi Hills was much more luxurious and better view due to the location. Westin's executive lounge was somewhat plain but their service was very good and their business facility (meeting rooms, business center to do scanning etc.) was much better. This is probably due to the fact that Westin is older and the area it is in (Ebisu is a mix of business and rich residential area) and Roppongi Hills is one of the newly built building standing in infamous entertainment centre, Roppongi (many foreigners like to visit this town for night clubs etc.).

A meeting finished close to 1pm and I worked with my boss to sort out invoices and any other tax-related paperworks for year end tax filing due end of March. I got home around 4 pm and cooked dinner before I went to pick up Koki at 5pm.

This kind of work-life style is not too common in Tokyo and I am a few of lucky ones I feel.  This is because ever since I came back to Tokyo, I always worked with non Japanese business owners who focus on work results rather than how or where I work. If I get things done on time, they don't interfere. I like it that way.

Because Japanese society is still very much submerged in an old fashion, bureaucratic and feudal style, it is rare to see Japanese business owners working like they do, but I am hoping in near future we see more and more of them taking a step to change how they work. That way, Tokyo will be a much easier and better place to live and work for not only us Japanese but also many non Japanese who now play important roles in boosting our down economy esp after the earthquake and tsunami.

I stayed home all day yesterday, alone, to finish up the piled up research work from last and this week.  This is partly because Koki has been sick but also I mentally did not pull myself to get to it. Instead I kept doing other works, setting it aside.  On Friday night a push came to shove with my boss coming back to Tokyo on Monday, I decided to at least get some of it done this weekend.

Koki and Toru left for Toru's parents' house in the afternoon yesterday and stayed over, so I was physically alone at home to work.  It's been a while since I had all the time to myself and everything around me was so enticing, it was hard to focus on just work after all.  Yet, I managed to put together a report by 1 am midnight.

Though I had to work, it was a real nice break for me to spend a full day alone, just looking after myself. Eat whenever I feel like it, rest whenever I am tired, make tea when I want, take a long bath not worrying about anyone else. I woke up late this morning, took time to drip a good dark coffee and ate a relaxing breakfast.

Once in a while, it is nice to be alone.  Just focusing on yourself.  Very luxurious, if you are a parent, you know what I mean (unless you have someone looking after all the things you need to take care of, then you are few of the lucky ones;-)

Have a pleasant Sunday everyone.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー