![]() |
| おやじtown新橋 |
秋もぐっと深まり朝夕が冷えるようになってきた。
子供は夜中にはいでしまうようで何もかけずに寝ていて、親は掛布団にしっかりくるまって寝ているという温度差。
夏の終わり・秋口に一念発起通訳学校のエントランステストを受け下から2番目のクラスから受講可能となったのだが、テスト結果シートを見た夫が、
というか、同時通訳とか目指してるんじゃなければ、今のレベルでいけるってことなんじゃないの
と呟いたことにより、ちょっと勢いがせがれ、そのタイミングでまとまった英文和訳仕事が入り、結局今年秋タームの受講は見送った。
仕事を納品した後、10月からの時短の英訳仕事が決まったので、私は通訳という新しいレッドオーシャンに漕ぎ出すより、これまで細々とやってきて需要もある翻訳(こちらもブルーオーシャンではないけど)に注力したほうがいいのかな、と思うようになった。
学生の頃から同時通訳、ひそかに憧れてきたけれど、今回通訳学校の体験クラスやテストを受け、事務局の人と話した結果、この先1年くらいかなりの時間とかなりの予算をコミットするほどの強い気持ちがあるかな、と考えた結果、ないなと気づいた。
きっと、これからも突発で通訳させられると終わって撃沈するんだろうけど、それはそれで、それ、としよう思う。
そんなんで、結局一念発起!から後戻りに…
一歩進んで三歩下がるとはこのことかな。
でも、今回初めて「翻訳」のポジションで仕事をスタートさせ、これで「お仕事は?」と聞かれた時にもごもご言わずに、「翻訳です」と言える気分になった。
あとは翻訳にコミットできるようになった。きっぱりと。
なので結果オーライとしよう。
Took a trial lesson, an entrance exam, got accepted into the 2nd level class at one of interpretation training school at end of September but looking at an exam result score, decided to pass this time.
The school is aiming to train interpreters to do broadcast simultaneous translation or big international conference in which usually translator use headphone/mic to interpret from a booth.
At the end of the whole entrance process, I could not push myself to imagine myself gettin to that level, or in other words, wanting to be an interpreter at that level. Though, it had always been my desire to be a pro interprepter, I realized that was purely out of a job impression without knowing what it really requires to be one...
I could give 1000 excuses I gave up on this idea, but at the end of the day, it all came down to "not feeling comfortable with the idea". Also the budet played a big roll, I admit. At age of 44, I have to calculate my investment against my time and potential return of investment. I realize when I first took a course back in college with my parents money, I wasn't thinking from that perspective (too young to think...) and took for granted that such opportunity should rise to me (being bilingual back then was still more of a big deal than now days). But now I make my own money and running a family being in mid 40s, I fully realize time is limited and should be used wisely. Same goes for money.
At the same timing as passing an entrance exam, I got hired by an IT company based in Shinbashi, as J to E translator. In the same week, I received a fairly big J E to J translation project from a translation company (freelance work). This made me realize there are already lots of demands for me being a "translator" which I should fulfill.
I take one step forward and take three steps back, but there is always something inbetween these steps, so no waste there.
Keep on going. Life is short, enjoy, cherish, and try to live it to the fullest while it lasts.

0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿