2012年5月26日土曜日

The Beauty Bias

Amazon.com
今日は疲れきった私をおき、旦那と息子が水族館に出かけたので、なかなか進まない現在の読書の日にする予定。

この本は米国スタンフォード大学の女性教授が書いたもので、かいつまんでいうと、
「なんで女は男よりも見てくれで仕事や能力まで判断されるのか?」
という内容。

美容、ファッションが生き甲斐そのもの!
と言い切れる人は別だが、その他の多くは面倒でも義務感と強迫観念から化粧、ある程度の流行を取り入れたファッションを心がけている(と思う)。

かく言う私もオシャレでもないが、まあ、一応「女性として」なめられない程度には適当に身繕いするようにはしているが、「あー無駄!」、「くだらなっ!」と思うこともしばしば。

まあ、アメリカより日本は更に身繕いに大してのバイアスが高い気がするが。。。

My goodness, I am so worn out this week!
Let me say this out loud because I am! I can't do any more of anything this week, just can't!

So, Toru and Koki went to an aquarium and I am sitting here at a dinning table updating my blog before I go off to a bed to read this book called "The Beauty Bias".
It is one of my recent readings and I have not been able to spend more than 5 minutes at a time to read this book.

It is written by a female director of law at Stanford University and it is about why women are more harshly criticized/evaluated by how they look even if looks has nothing to do with their ability or potential. Of course, to some extent men are judged the same way (i.e. author writes that a short male is less considered competent in sports, work, study etc. compared to tall male), however, she states women are more biased.

Interesting topic, unless your love of life is make-up and fashion that they are no achieving effort but rather something you enjoy purely even if there were no eyes around you to judge you based on them.

Well, sometimes I wish I looked good regardless of my makeup or what I wear, but reality is that I feel obligated to do make up and dress decently in trend enough to not stand out from the crowd in a negative concept.

(Especially in Tokyo, I feel this bias level is very high. People are too conscious about what others think about themselves and that you they are not a drop of a black ink in a bucket of water)

Enough of blogging, off to bed now.

Have a nice weekend!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー